Pages

My Amazing Little Boy

Couldn't you just squeeze his little ice cream covered cheeks? Oh I love this boy so much, and I realized just what an amazing boy he is today.  Although I feel that everyday, today I had an "ah ha" moment:
Today was Zack's 24 month check up with his doctor.  He had also woken up a couple hours early, and I had not gotten much of a good night sleep for the past few days.  I had been concerned with some things about him lately, particularly his sensitivity to loud noises, and his limited vocabulary.  When I took these concerns to my doctor, he began to ask more questions about Zack to get a better idea on his behaviors.  As I talked with my doctor, I found myself telling him all the things that Zack "can't do" or "doesn't do."  When asked how Zack comprehends and how his ability to follow directions from us is, all I said was "he does good for the most part."  My doctor reassured me that I have a normal 2 year old boy, but referred me to someone who could do some social analysis on him just in case.  I love my doctor!  He always makes me feel like I'm doing this whole parenting thing alright when we talk.
On my way out of the office, I felt very disappointed in myself as a parent.  Zack is a GREAT listener and follows directions VERY well.  I get compliments quite often from other moms as they see how quick Zack is to understand and obey the things we ask of him.  Yes, he has moments where he chooses not to, but who doesn't? All the way home I thought, "Shame on me.  Why did I spend that whole visit talking about the things he "doesn't do" when I could have spent so much longer bragging about the things he DOES do.  I was tired and grumpy, which caused me to be frustrated all morning and steered my thoughts toward the negative.
Every parent has concerns for their child.  But it hit me so hard just how blessed I am to have Zack and for the amazing things that he CAN do.  Despite the concerns that I'll always have for my son as he grows up, I need to remember to always focus on the positive.  So with that, I feel I need to share with all of you the AMAZING things that Zack CAN do:
~He is very polite, always saying "Peeee (please)" when he wants something, and "day do (thank you)" when he receives it.
~He CAN say words.  Not many, but he has some:
puppy, bye bye, please, thank you, cookie, all done, set doe (ready, set, go!), swing, slide, ball, heh (head), eee (ears), mou (sometimes mouth...sometimes mouse... they sound the same), ya, no (which, thankfully, translates to nose), uh huh, shoes, and others that come as he chooses.
~He likes to play "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and only skips his knees and eyes (even though he waits till the very end to point to his shoulder).
~He has been sleeping in his big boy bed for 5 months already!
~He cleans up after himself (after some persuasion and several verses of "The Clean Up" song).
~He feeds himself with utensils and manages to stay pretty clean!
 
~He can throw, kick, run, tackle and LOVES to be active and be outdoors
~He can quote Toy Story (yes, all three) as he  watches them.  If you've seen the 3rd movie, you know the scene where Ken models his wardrobe...Zack sings along with the words "Freak Out!" as the classic song "Le Freak" plays in the background!
~He folds his arms for prayers, and says "meh (amen)" when we finish.
~He always gives kisses after family prayers to both Clayton and I.
~He likes to be silly and loves to make people laugh!
~He throws his head back and gives a loud, robust laugh when he thinks something is simply hilarious!
~He brings Clayton and I more joy than we could have possibly imagined was possible!
We love Zack so much, and I could go on about the many things he DOES and the many ways he blesses our home.  Zack is such a special boy.  My doctor reassured me that my boy is "a normal 2 year old boy."  But he isn't "normal," because he brings more happiness to our lives than any other 2 year old that I know, and that is something special. I love my little Zack-man for all the things he DOES for me.

Clayton

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment:

Elizabeth J. said...

Zack is such a sweetheart. I think he is amazing and will continue to get more and more so. You are a great mama and try so hard to do what you think is right by him. Just keep it up!